Thursday, March 8, 2012

Stampalicious Thursday - Border dies/punches!


Welcome to the 2nd round of Stampalicious Thursday!

Hi, this is Angel and I'm sharing one of my favorite ways to add that extra *POP* to your creations. The best thing is I bet almost every one of you has at least one of these in your arsenal - border dies or punches!!! I'm so totally addicted to them, it is rare that I don't have at least one fancy border on a card somewhere! For example, here's a card I made using no dies or punches:

It's sweet and simple, which is great if that's what you're in the mood for... BUT here's the same card with a few border punches thrown in and, of course, a flower embellishment. Now, because I knew I was going to add the border to the top of the card, I cut the card 1/2 inch shorter than a standard A2 size so that adding the border makes it a standard card size. And can I just say, seam binding, where have you been all my life?!?! Ha! Seriously, this is my first time working with it (just got some from SU last week) and it's just a dream to work with! This lovely Stella Peeker Darth Vader was colored with copics. Those hot pink rollers are a flashback for me! The coffee cup was paper pieced. The top border was adhered to the back of the card then I added cardstock to cover it so that the back looks nice and clean. Do those border punches kick it up a notch OR WHAT?!?! BAM!


Here's the beginning of my card for our spring themed challenge this week. I had this scrap laying around, which is the negative of a border die. So I snipped off what I wanted to use and cut out another strip to match and adhered them to the designer paper.


Here's the card in the works before I added a border die to the middle dp strip. That middle strip needed something to make it stand out.

Here is that middle strip with a straight edge on one side and a border die added to the other. Another tip, I never have a full strip of paper layered behind dp - helps save paper and cuts down on the weight of the card.

Here, I was playing around with the sentiment. Again, I felt it needed just a little something...

Oh, look, there's a border strip laying on my table! Let me just add it here and snip off this end...

And voila!

Well, I hope I've inspired you to add a little pizzazz to your creations! You have the dies and punches, you might as well USE them! Have a wonderful day and check back in two weeks for another tutorial from our wonderful Design Team!!

6 comments:

  1. Those cards are awesome! Love the borders!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice card. I love the image they are so cute and funny. Awesome Design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tutorial thanks for sharing your instruction with us.
    Plastic Card Printing
    Plastic Card

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial Angel! I love how you have used your scraps up as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is AWESOME, Angel!!! I'll definitely be using these tips and tricks...LOVE my border punches but they could certainly use a little more attention!!! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great Angel! I use border punches a lot too - I love 'em! But, like Joycelyn said, mine could use a bit of fine tune attention. :)

    ReplyDelete